January 12, 2003

When you wake up with a splitting headache, rummage around the bathroom looking for non-existent aspirin and/or Tylenol, groggily conclude “Well, I’m sure that these Acetaminophen with Codeine I smuggled back from Canada will be even better,” you might as well just kiss the next 18 hours of your life goodbye.

In other exciting news, I am now the proud sponsor of the Kent Tekulve page on the truly indispensible Baseball-Reference.com. I became a big fan of Tekulve's during his days with the Phillies, years after his peak with the Pirates, and I tried unsuccessfully for years to copy his sidearm style. I'll never forget him come in to face Gregg Jefferies with two outs and the go-ahead runners on, late in a Reds-Mets game. It was the last season of Tekulve's career and the first full season for the highly touted Jefferies, the latest obnoxious budding star for the obnoxious Mets in the obnoxious 80's. I remember my brother, a big Mets fan, laughing at this goofball warming up, taunting me with predictions of just how hard the young phenom would hit the washed-up reliever. My friends, Jefferies struck out swinging, with three swings that weren't within a foot of the pitch. Lord, that was a beautiful moment. Thanks, Kent.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]