June 15, 2002

Report from the NYC Blogapalooza. Well, I was the last to make it home, so I guess it makes sense that I'm the last to post a few notes about the event. As with the last gathering, it was a great opportunity to catch up with some folks from the last one, meet people whose blogs I am familiar with, and get introduced to some new people and their fine blogs.

Leading off the first category is, of course, Jane Galt, the Queen-by-Acclamation of the NYC Bloggers. I arrived somewhat late (that whole darn subway express vs. local thing), by which time the delightfully intriguing Ms. Galt was in a small room in the back of the lounge, holding court on a variety of fascinating subjects. I showed my honor, paid my tribute, and ventured onward to the rest of the crowd. It was great to see the bewitchingly modest Ravenwolf and the happily haberdashed Nick Marsala again. Ravenwolf spent the evening politely demurring when asked about her victory in the "Sexiest Female Blogger" poll, though her attempts to deflect the questioning were certainly not helped by Nick's "I'm With Sexy" T-shirt. (Check out R-Dub's photos of the event.)

[Ravenwolf also tells the mysterious tale of the bearded gentleman in the pizza place who fixated on me as the cause of: a) the stock market crash; b) the decline of American civilization; c) the decline of white civilization; d) probably a whole bunch of other stuff. My lack of offspring seemed to be a factor, though the best attempts by Jane to explain it all were unsuccessful. The man (who resembled John Rhys-Davies in The Lord of the Rings) was brandishing a large book on the history of the Istria region, of which he may have been a co-author. This sort of thing happens to me all the time. I am a magnet. When volunteers are needed from the crowd, I am often called upon. I handle it with grace and humor. He eventually moved on.]

The rakishly graceful Paul Frankenstein stuck it out until the end, charming the crowd and politely answering a myriad of questions that are succinctly covered on his FAQ. The intimidating yet comforting Dr. Weevil (cue theme song!) regaled me with his extensive collection of double-entendres and assorted witticisms (three words: funny gynecologists' names). The intimidating yet intimidating Clay Waters managed to swallow his rage for an entire evening over the fact that my Jersey-City-living ass had been admitted to the NYC Bloggers site, though he did amuse the crowd with the old "I'm sorry, I thought that was my ass" trick. The esoterically dreamy Sasha Castel inspired many a blogger's sudden interest in opera when she walked through the doors. And it is, of course, always a treat to see the superbly pseudonymmed Mindles H. Dreck, brief though his presence was.

Among the new-to-me faces were Edie Singleton of My Dating World (who, remarkably enough, has never been to New Jersey), the damned personable Jim from Objectionable Content, Liz and Matt from the quite excellent NYC Blogger Map, Leonard of Unruled (who has a wrapup and a bunch of photos, including one of my zeppelin-like head), Elizabeth of Capital Influx, Max of Common Sense, Caryn Solly, John Hiler, and the stamina-filled Jessica of the excellent Blog of Chloe and Pete, who joined me on the subway ride down towards Penn Station. If you met me and I left out your name...well, I never forget names, so it probably means that I simply hated you.

In short, smart and opinionated people plus alcohol and pizza equals FUN! Whoooo!

And hey, why not check out one of them NYC Blogs when you're finished here.

Update: Actually, lots and lots of folks posted Blogapalooza recaps after I did, or around when I did: Jim, Elizabeth Spiers, John Hiler, Edie Singleton, Doctor Weevil, Leonard, and...jeez, I don't even care anymore and I was there.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]