June 26, 2002

A Demonstration of the Effects of Alcohol on the Blogger. Back in high school health class we were shown a poster which demonstrated the effects of alcohol over the course of an evening. The top of the poster featured a man's sober signature; below were his increasingly sloppy signatures after one, three, five, and seven drinks. The lesson of the poster was...well, I wasn't really paying attention, something about avoiding drunk notary publics.

Anyway, Mike Whybark has an equally effective demonstration over on his blog today. He started out this morning with "Professor Sea Gould and Professor Mitchell," an engaging and well-researched post about Joseph MItchell's writings about Joseph Gould, collected and popularized in the book and movie "Joe Gould's Secret." Mike doesn't seem to like Joseph Mitchell's work nearly as much as I do, but I appreciated his new thoughts on his sudden retirement, and he found some links I had never seen before.

Anyway, Mike is a man who enjoys a nice scotch, and it seems he celebrated his Mitchell post with a few hours of the ol' whiskey-piskey. We next hear from him about four hours later, when he drags himself to the keyboard long enough to direct us to a very funny Sweat Flavored Gummi post, after which it's all he can do to peck out this...well, I can't really describe what "What's All the Fuss About"'s about, but suffice it to say that the penultimate line is:
And let me state for the record: The Economist can blow me.
Shockingly enough, we haven't heard from Mike since. I'm organizing an intervention for next Thursday evening; let me know who wants to come along.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]