December 29, 2001

Fine, I'm a nitpicky pain in the ass, but I couldn't help but think that the idea at the heart of the current blogger war -- namely, that passengers be forced to fly naked for increased airline security -- sounded a little familiar. Who originated the idea? Was it the excellent Jeff Jarvis, as he so increasingly desperately insists? Was it the also-excellent Ken Layne, as credited by Natalie Solent and Mark Steyn? It sure as hell wasn't Thomas Friedman of the New York Times, that thieving bastard. Who could it be?

I could swear that I first heard the "Fly Naked" idea presented by the um...excellent Stephen Colbert of the Daily Show way back in early November. The only hard evidence I've been able to find so far is this message board posting:

Posted: 2001-11-08 14:43
"Passengers are allowed to carry their ID, cash, and credit cards in their pockets. No wallets, purses, or carryons aside from a paperback."
This is like the idea of Stephen Colbert of The Daily Show:
No luggage, no carry-ons, no CLOTHES!
HA-Try to sneak a box cutter on board now!!


I can't be the only one out there to remember this, can I?

I did find some harder evidence: a link to this cartoon, which was presented on the Comedy Central message board as having ripped off Colbert's idea. I'm certainly not accusing anybody of anything -- just suggesting that this idea goes back a bit beyond the Shoe Bomber.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]