October 14, 2001

A Baseball First Well, for me, anyway. The Yankees' improbable two wins in Oakland mean that my Game 5 tickets won't be useless after all, and instead will allow my friend Keith and I to attend our first-ever playoff-deciding game. We'll be in the bleachers, and I imagine the atmosphere will be, as they say, electric.

I've been to four other playoff games, including the 15-inning, Leyritz-homer-ending Game 2 of the Yankees/Mariners 1995 ALDS series, still the greatest game I've ever seen. I also was at the two Kingdome games for the 1997 ALDS series (probably the two worst games I've ever seen; the seats were lousy, and the Mariners lost both games 9-3). I also was at Game 1 of the Yankee's/A's on Wednesday, a fairly uniteresting event.

The weird thing is that I won't know who I'm rooting for until about gametime. If my Mariners can beat the Indians, then I'd love to see a Yankees/Mariners matchup, if only for the week of trashtalking between me and my dad. If the Indians win, then the Yankees can lose by 20 for all I care. I'm sick of dem bastards.

On Wednesday, I actually saw a few guys wearing A's hats in the bleachers. And here's the shocking part: they weren't beaten to a bloody pulp! Probably a post-9/11 sensitivity, especially with all the NYPD/FD salutes and patriotic songs. I still wouldn't wear the Green and Gold tomorrow, though.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]